Building a Storm Raven – part 1
With the addition of the ‘Storm Hawk’ to the Age of the Emperor pack, my Mechanicum force is able to field a very handy skimmer transport. More importantly, I have an excuse to build one of those Storm Ravens everyone is having a crack at!
The kit is almost wholly made from a Valkyrie. I used a few leftover bits from a Chimera for the cockpit.
A simple reversing of the entrance ramp sets the premise for the design.
Lining up the pin so that it enters the small box on the interior gives it a decent depth and doesn’t mess up the insides of the model.
The wings are a bit too angled, so I added small edges of plasticard to the large end and drilled a socket for the pin.
I decided to attach the engines to the middle of the wings, but the existing model is too long. Cutting out the centre of the engine reduces the length enough to sit on the wings nicely.
Any protruding detail on this part of the wings and the notches on the engine need removing to create a flat surface for gluing.
The wing structure stayed the same as the Valkyrie, but I cut the side bars short and attached them towards the rear of the body. Planning to extend the lentgh of the hull, I cut off the edged back of the hull.
I cut out the top of the nose to re-position it for more height.
The rear underside is currently empty – I’m pondering Dreadnoughtclamps or another assault hatch.
The cock pit is built from Chimera parts. 2 armour plates for the base.
Then using the lasgun inside panels and a lot of plasticard, I scratch build the windows to sit on the base plate.