CRUX-pattern Storm Raven tutorial

patzgcrux has kindly allowed us to repost his Valkyrie-driven Storm Raven kitbash tutorial on MyWargame.

This tutorial was originally posted at Bell of Souls, I guess you can call this conversion the CRUX pattern BA Storm Raven.

My main goal was to create the Storm Raven with as little use of plastic card as possible, and to use a minimum amount of boxed kits to kit bash. With these two boxes, the whirlwind retailing for $40 and the IG Valkyrie retailing for $58, I was able to keep the starting cost below $100. An added bonus of using the parts of the Whirlwind is you get a complete Rhino kit to either add to your army or use as a trade tool with your friends.
Image

Here are the tools that I used. First off, safety. Try to cut away from your fingers and if you are using a rotary tool use some safety glasses.

Image

Using a hobby saw and cutting board, I sliced the Valkyrie crew compartment in half, try to do this neatly since we will be using the lower half of the housing as well later on

Image

I also cut the other half of the cockpit since I won’t be needing a secondary pilot. I assembled it using the
lower half of the seat for support, the glass cockpit, the front hull piece, which as you can see I also cut in
half, and the cockpit side supports.

Image

Now to create the other half of the cockpit assembly I cut the wing assembly support of the
Valkyrie kit at this point.

Image

These are the pieces that I will use to create the other half of the cockpit. Note the plastic
card piece that I will use later on for supporting this assembly.

Image

This is how the other half of the cockpit assembly should look like.
I would suggest using blue tack to temporarily mount the parts together.

Image

A trial connection of the two parts should look like this.

Image

Assemble the crew compartment of the Valkyrie. Now carefully place the back part of the cockpit assembly. Do a trial connection of the front and back part before doing this. I used the existing railing to help in supporting the pieces.

Image

The cockpit assembly completed resting on the Valkyrie crew compartment.

Image

Ok, to continue on we use the wing brace assembly, the one from an earlier image and complete assembling it with it’s lower half and…

Image

We go ahead and mount it on the side of the hull.

Image

We need to trim down the doors so that it can fit to the side, use a hobby saw and adjust
with a hobby knife when putting it on.

Image

I will next tackle the grapple, magnet for the dreadnought. I use the hatch housing for the Whirlwind
and one of the multiple rocket front bit and a small round magnet (1/8″ i think).

Image

Assemble the whirlwind turret/hatch as normal. I suggest gluing the arm down.

Image

the lower piece is the MLR pod front half, it easily fits to the lower turret.

Image

Assemble it to the rear of the cockpit, the lower half. Make adjustments as necessary.

Image

I will go ahead and tackle the anti-tank missile which I procured from the Whirlwind. Note the
suggested cut point.

Image

With a hobby knife, shave away the skull marking off the missile pod cover.

Image

I attached the missile pod to the side of the wing support.

Image

Mount the small wing tips at the side of the cockpit. we will use this as support for the
engines.

Image

glue on the assembled engine piece, adjust as necessary to create a even flushed look.

Image

Now we go back and use the lower hull cockpit assembly that we cut out of the upper cockpit and
we will use this bit as engine covers.

Image

Laying out the wing pieces that will be used. I had to cut out a strip of plastic card to support
the rear wings.

Image

Attach the smaller wings to the lower front, near the assault ramp.

Image

Mount the plastic card first, then mount the tail wing section.

Image

Here is the completed hull of the Storm Raven. I will take a break for now since I have to do some errands.
But you can see that this is a fairly easy and good looking conversion. I will go ahead and post more later on.

The large wings are not glued yet, I am still debating if I want to change the angle but at the current configuration it looks like it is moving and it can rest easily on the ground.

Image

Kindly give input feedback. I think I will try to use the Assault cannon and heavy bolter configuration for this one.

Additional images of Completed Conversion with Dreadnought:

This is an image of a previous kit that I finished showing the dreadnought mounted by the magnet.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

There you have it folks, hopefully this will inspire you guys to start building your own. I used the Dreadnought that came
with the Assault on Black Reach set. The base of the Dread is magnetized, fairly straight forward conversion.

Image

4/10/10 Update

Thank you again for all the comments and kind words. I wanted to post some pictures of a commission conversion that I am doing.
My client wanted to have a weapon swappable option for when he is facing armor and massed infantry. I used 1/8″ circumference by 1/16″ rare earth magnets. eBay sellers sell these in sets of 100 for $12. Very use full since you can use a 1/8″ drill bit to drill into plastic models. Anyway here are the latest pics:

Image

All laid out, the parts that can be removed for easy transport.

Image

Anti Armor Raven in all it’s glory

Image

Ork problem solved with this configuration

Image


Whitehorn

Aint nothing but a horn

You may also like...